Art Plumstead is delighted to announce the result of the Art Plumstead Short Story Competition 2015:
First Prize: Jane Lawson
Second Prize: Gaynor Wingham
Third Prize: Nick Thripp
Worthy Runners up were Anne Leighton and Patricia Latter
There was an international response to this inaugural writing contest, a high standard was set and the achievement of the winners and runners up is all the more praiseworthy. Art Plumstead would like to thank all entrants for their contribution in making the competition such a success. We hope this has encouraged all of you to continue writing
Art Plumstead Short Story Writing Competition 2015
Art Plumstead welcomes writers from beginners to experienced scribblers to enter our Short Story Competition on the theme of ‘Renewal’. Entry is free and there is the chance to get your story published. Winners will receive Waterstones Book Vouchers to the value of:
- 1st Prize £25
- 2nd Prize £15
- 3rd Prize £10
We will help you step-by-step as follows:
- A writers’ walk will take place on Saturday the 4th of July at 2pm at the Rockliffe Gardens ‘Bedding in Event’. For information on this event see http://rockliffegardens.weebly.com/events-in-the-gardens.html
- A writers’ advice session will be held at Plumstead Library on the 18th of July between 2 – 4pm.
- Get tips on your short story from local author Alison Miller
- Find out how Plumstead Library can help support your writing needs
- The Short Story Competition will open on the 19th of July and close on the 31st of August 2015.
- The Winners’ Award Ceremony will take place in September 2015 at Plumstead Library.
- Winning entries are to be published by Art Plumstead in 2016.
We will be looking for:
- Original short stories in English of 500-1000 words in length.
- Stories inspired by the theme of ‘Renewal’.
- Interesting characters, plots (something happens) and a sense of time and place.
Competition Entry Rules – open as pdf
- Must be original, written in English and not previously published.
- Inspired by the idea of ‘Renewal’.
Story length: 500 to 1000 words:
- Submissions of fewer than 500 words or more than 1000 words will not be read.
- Please include an exact word count, which contains the title.
No age categories
Stories only. Poetry or prose with poetry-like formatting is not suitable.
Closing date: 31st August 2015. Any entries received after this date will not be accepted.
- Include author information i.e. name, address and contact details in a cover letter only.
- Type-written document.*
- Omit all author information (including your name) from the text body, headers, and text file name. This allows anonymity in our selection process, and ensures that stories are selected entirely on merit.
*For guidance only: a 12 pt. font, double spaced, left alignment, and one-inch margins format will help the judges.
- Up to three stories per person can be entered to the competition, but they must be submitted as separate documents.
- We are happy to receive submissions by:
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- post addressed to: Art Plumstead Short Story Competition 2015, Plumstead Library, Plumstead High Street, Plumstead SE18 1JL
- Entries, multiple or otherwise, cannot be returned to the author after the competition.
First, Second and Third prizes will be awarded. Runners-up will be awarded a special mention at the judges’ discretion.
Winning entries will be eligible for publication in 2016 by Art Plumstead.
Copyright remains with the author, but entry to the competition implies consent for Art Plumstead to publish stories in whatever format they choose.
The decision of the judges is final.